Pages

INSTAGRAM

Blog posts

Monday 20 March 2017

The Silisponge...

There are so many different ways of applying your makeup base these days, it can really become quite overwhelming especially if you are a beginner. In my opinion you certainly don't need any tools for applying foundation - I use my hands a lot of the time which works absolutely fine. I do however find a sponge very useful for applying/blending out concealer seamlessly. 
I personally LOVE and swear by my beauty blender for this. I have used one now for the last few years to blend products out and I honestly can't live without it. 

When I heard about the Silisponge though I was so intrigued. I'd read so many incredible reviews and seen so many YouTube videos... I had to give it a go!

What is it?
A silicone sponge used to apply cream/liquid products. 

It claims to:

1. Make your foundation go a lot further 
2. Be more hygienic
3. Be more affordable 

I got mine on Amazon for £4.99 and immediately gave it a go because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. 

The verdict?         I HATE IT!!!!!!

The first time I tried it, in all fairness, I used FAR too much foundation because I am so used to using my hands/a sponge. I didn't think this was fair so I wiped some product off. This didn't help. All the sponge did was wipe the product around my face, leaving lines and creases everywhere but also wiping away coverage somehow at the same time!! It was so so difficult to get around my nose/blend things out evenly. 
I decided to try a couple more times (on a separate day, when the frustration of the first time had passed!), with less foundation, but still the same problems occurred. I ended up having to take the whole lot off and start again/ or go in with my beauty blender over the top anyway, which takes up even more time, making it a pointless item!


Here a few snaps of the lovely moment I tried it:




 (LOL - look at those lines)






















So! Does it live up to it's claims?
1. Make your foundation go a lot further - Yes but only because all it does is wipe it around your face! This doesn't mean that you end up with the flawless result you were hoping for. Not only this, but you have to then correct with a sponge, making it effectively pointless as I said.
2. Be more hygienic - Yes it's easy to clean, but so is the beauty blender with an antibacterial soap so this point is irrelevant to me. I even put my Real Technique sponge in the washing machine and it survived well. 
3. Be more affordable - There are plenty of other great products out there at a similar price if not less, I personally don't recommend this even if it is only a few pounds. 

In my opinion - nothing compares to the following (with Beauty blender being my number one, always):

1. The Beauty blender. A lot of people raving about the Silisponge say that sponges soak up too much product. I disagree, and think that actually they do a great job at soaking up any excess product which means you always have just the right amount on your face. Yes it might use up a tiny bit more foundation, but it's not like the whole bottle is gone! This only works if your sponge is damp enough though so make sure you properly soak it and then wring it out, otherwise it may well soak up more than you want. 
2. The Real Techniques sponge is the closest thing I've found to the beauty blender. It isn't quite as good in that I find it a little firmer to work with and more rubbery so the blending takes a little more effort, but it's a great place to start if you're new to blending with this kind of tool.
3. If you are more of a brush person, I absolutely love this Space NK brush for buffing things in: Flat top brush. The denseness of it means that you don't end up with lines all over your face and you can really push the product into the skin. 

So in summary: 
SILLY sponge in my opinion. 
What do you guys think?!
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment