Pages

INSTAGRAM

Blog posts

Monday 13 February 2017

Longer lasting makeup? My top tips...

I've always been striving for long lasting makeup. Makeup that doesn't budge. Makeup that stays flawless all.day.long. A lot of products claim to help us achieve this, but over the years I've realised that it just isn't always possible for me. This is mainly due to the fact that I have the oiliest face on the earth. Luckily with age & skin care changes this has become slightly better, but generally, after a few hours I am having to powder to touch up any shiny areas. It's quite possibly one of the most frustrating things ever. Even for those with normal/dry skin types, this & keeping things in place can sometimes be a struggle. 

Through experimenting though, I've have been lucky enough to find some really great products that I would recommend and that really do work in keeping oil and shine at bay for much longer than any others - (I've also learnt to try and embrace my "natural glow".)

My top tips?

Priming, a good setting powder, and a setting spray. 

Primers:
Why prime? I used to ask the same question. Since finding my beloved Clarins Beauty Flash Balm I've never looked back. The priming stage is all about "prepping the skin". Whether you have dry/oily/combo/normal skin, it can really help with keeping makeup fresh for longer and provides the perfect base for products to sit on top of (instead of your skin drinking up the foundation/concealers etc.). 
Not only this - but there are literally millions of different versions, each targeting a different concern. These concerns could include fine lines, redness, dry skin. The list goes on. Have a look - and just ask for a sample if you find one you want to try. Space NK are particularly great for this.

Here are some that have worked for me:

- Clarins BFB Perfect for anyone (unless you hate strongly scented products) It literally makes your face look airbrushed (in a good way). I generally use it for events/when I want a bit more of a full face of makeup to stay put. It helps to blur, for me it even prevents oils and just generally keeps your face looking great. 
Make sure to follow the instructions for application if you try this - I used it wrong for so many weeks and then finally realised. Swipe don't rub people...& apply foundation straight after if you're going to. 

- Too Faced Hangover Primer which I've mentioned before.This is more of a skin care step and adds a loaaaad of hydration. Perfect for those who have drier skins but also those who are oily. (Often oily skin is combined with dehydration - if our skin is dehydrated it only produces more oil!) Counteract it with moisture and you're going to help things last that little bit longer. Leave this to sink in for a few minutes and then you're good to go.

- Benefit Porefessional this one is fabulous at blurring out lines/blemishes/everything and makes your skin feel so soft and smooth. 

I also remember trying the L'Oreal Infallible mattifying base a little while ago. It didn't quite match up to the above - but it wasn't bad. It helped to smooth out the skin for a good base and did provide a little bit of a matte effect - it just didn't maintain this for as long as I'd hoped. 

You certainly don't need this step. What works for me, may not work for you - but give it a go if you're looking for something to try and maintain your daily face that bit longer. 

Setting powders: Once you're all primed and have added whatever it is you want on top - the next key thing for long lasting makeup is setting it all down. If you don't have oily skin this could literally be with any powder from the "drug store". Go with translucent and the lightest amount, and it will subtly lock everything into place. I used the Rimmel Stay Matte powder for YEARS and absolutely swore by it even for us oily people. I really need to try it again to see how it compares to my current favourite (and strongest oil preventing one I've found so far) the Urban Decay De-Slick Powder. For me this product has changed my life so it'll be hard to get me un-hooked!! 
Another great option is the Bourjois Healthy Balance - I've just re-discovered this along with their foundation and forgot how much I love it!! It keeps things in place really well considering how reasonable it is. This and their foundation go beautifully together. 
For heavier makeup looks - I tend to use a loose powder too like the Vichy Dermablend or the Laura Mercier Translucent powder to "Bake" the under eye and any oil prone areas. Find out more about baking here ...I used to laugh at this trend....& you do look like an absolute idiot but it actually works.

Setting sprays: 
Finally - spritzing your face with a mist. This sounds like the worst thing you could possibly do at the end of applying your perfect face of makeup right?! Trust me - this works too. 
By spritzing your face lightly with a mist, all products on your face sort of merge together creating a flawless, natural looking result. Here are some faves: 

Gerard Cosmetics Slay All Day - I used this to set my wedding makeup. LOVE. 

If my face is looking a little dry or cakey because I've gone overboard I'll go in very lightly with the Tatcha Dewy Skin Mist..(sadly not available in the UK but I got mine in Sephora so keep an eye out if you're ever in the USA)
Another great one is the Urban Decay All Nighter & a new favourite budget option for me is the Mario Badescu Rose Water Spritz. This one smells INCREDIBLE and works a treat.  


So there you have it! My top tips and tricks for longer lasting makeup!
Let me know if you have any that I need to try...

xox



No comments:

Post a Comment