Pages

INSTAGRAM

Blog posts

Wednesday 16 November 2016

My wedding makeup!

Ahhh, my wedding makeup. Something that caused me great anxiety... but in the end so much joy!! I'm particularly fussy with my face, and the first thing I thought was... I'm going to have to do this myself. I've had my makeup done before and in all honesty, I felt like a different person every time. Just what you don't want! So, I made it into a little project. Exploring things and perhaps also making excuses to try new products!! (If not for your wedding day, when?)



As soon as we started planning the day, I started planning which products I wanted to try and made a list of ones that I knew I was going to use. It became a bit of an addiction and expensive period of time! You could say I went a little overboard. In hindsight perhaps I even thought about it a bit too much, but it worked out just the way that I wanted it to, so I've decided to write down and share my tips and tricks (as well as a break down of what I used) for those who may find it helpful.


Ahhh just writing about it makes me want to go back and do it all again! Before I start, here goes with a few tips to keep in mind that I found really helpful through my own research:




1. Don't go experimenting wildly or do anything hugely different from your usual makeup - you want to look like yourself! Most importantly you want to feel comfortable. If you don't usually wear lots, keep it natural! If you are more like me and enjoy a range of products, find the right ones for you. I'd personally also say apply as little as possible, this way there is less to touch up during the day.

2. If you're getting your makeup done, go for trials before hand. Try things out and experiment with a few different looks before the big day if you're not quite sure what to go for. Tell them if you're not happy! You don't want to look back and dislike the photos. Preparation and practice is important.

3. Skin/body care was so key for me - not just the makeup. I spent a good few months drinking tons more water, exercising, and looking after my skin more than ever before. It paid off in a huge way, and my skin was the clearest it's ever been. I also felt my best for the big day.

4. Avoid SPF as far as possible, it can cause flash back in photos.

5. Use a good primer that works for your skin type, and a setting spray - these are so great for helping things to last that bit longer.

What I wore on my big day:



Primer: Clarins "Beauty flash balm". Oh my goodness - this stuff for an event is JUST INCREDIBLE.
I've become annoyingly obsessed with this and wear it far too often now. It claims to moisturise, brighten and tighten, as well as smooth the skin surface..it certainly does! Honestly, it looks like you've ironed your face out/reverted back to baby skin. That sounds weird, but it's the only way I can describe it! I watched a load of videos on this too when I first got it, as initially I wasn't fussed. Turned out I'd been applying it wrong. Instead of rubbing in, swipe across the face and then apply your foundation/concealer as soon as you can in the same motion. It then sets/merges into place, creating the most flawless base you'll ever see.
I'm so glad I found this.

Foundation: I decided to test out a few different foundations before the big day. I wore a different one to work over a few weeks and took photos throughout the day to compare. I tried the Nars "Sheer glow" & the Bobbi Brown "Long-wear even finish", both of which I loved. I found that the ones that lasted and looked the best however, were the Georgio Armani "Luminous silk foundation", and the Makeup Forever "Ultra HD". I kept changing my mind about which one to use on the day. In the end, I just mixed the two together being the indecisive person that I am, and I actually really like how it turned out! I think there may even have been a tiny bit of the Bobbi brown in there (I was panicking at this point trying to decide....!!) Anway, none of them have a high SPF, if any, which was key to my search to ensure that I avoided the dreaded ghost face flash back in photos. (I literally had nightmares about this happening)

Concealer: Urban Decay "Naked" concealer. EX1 cosmetics "Delete" for any blemishes (luckily just the one!)

Powder: Urban Decay "De-slick". Again no SPF, and really natural looking as it has no colour. This powder is officially my go to now, forever and always! It keeps my oily skin at bay for such a long time. I also added some of the Hourglass "Ambient lighting powder" in the shade "Diffused light" under my eyes. This one is a yellow based powder and is just beautiful, it brightens up under the eyes and any areas that you want to subtly highlight. 

Brows: Soap & Glory "Archery" brow pencil as well as some of the Maybelline "brow satin" powder to darken the ends.

Bronzer: I did some mild contouring with the Kevin Aucoin "Sculpting powder" and then went in with the Too Faced "Chocolate Soleil". Smells like chocolate, bronzes you up like a goddess. What else would you want for your wedding?

Highlight: The Balm "Mary Lou-manizer". I didn't want to go overboard on the glow, but it had to be done. I can't not highlight. I added a little of this to the main high points of my face as well as the inner corner of my eyes to brighten.

Blush: Too Faced Love flush "Baby love" - A gorgeous natural & long lasting pinky nude.

Eyes: Too Faced "Chocolate bar palette" (shades white chocolate all over, I then blended salted caramel into the crease, and darkened the outer edges with amaretto and haute chocolate I believe), Bourjois "liner Feutre" (brown) on the outer edges of the eye. I then added some of the Tanya Burr individual lashes - applied with eylure glue. These are so lovely and natural you could barely see them, but they just helped to add a little more volume and finish the look. I also added a tiny bit of the Makeup Forever "Diamond Powder" on the centre of the lid, because what is life without glitter?

Lips: Mac "Viva Glam V" Lustre. So so pretty, natural and glossy. It required a couple of touch ups throughout the day, but what lipstick doesn't. It also wasn't too colourful which meant I wasn't worried about it smudging.

Setting spray: Gerard Cosmetics - Slay all day.

...and that was it! Hahaha.... a million products later, but I'm pleased with how it looked.






**Watch our video here**:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6r_YCLL-b0&feature=youtu.be

...& let me know what you think. I now look forward to using my new knowledge when I get to do my lovely Bridesmaid Livi's makeup in September 2017! Bring it on.

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment