Pages

INSTAGRAM

Blog posts

Monday 17 October 2016

Toner. What's it all about?

As I mentioned previously, this was a stage in the skin care world that I had absolutely no idea about for a very long time. What is the point? They all seemed like useless liquids that did absolutely nothing in my eyes. Perhaps that's because I wasn't using the right ones. 

After a lot of research through Youtube vids & blogs I've finally cracked it though, and I've realised that I probably should have started this stage a long long time ago, especially with my problematic skin. I still know a lot of people who think it's a fad, but honestly I think even if you have great skin this step can do your face the world of good. 

The main benefits of a good toner (my understanding): 
  • Gets rid of any left over cleanser/makeup
  • Helps to re-balance the skins PH level
  • Removes any dead skin cells (ew) which could be causing blocked pores/rough patches
  • Can help with pigmentation 
A lot of them contain AHA's - Alpha Hydroxy Acids or BHA's - Beta Hydroxy Acids. I know what you're thinking... WHY would I put ACID on my face! Trust me, it's not as scary as it sounds. 
Have a read here: http://stylecaster.com/beauty/aha-vs-bha/ to get a better feel for it.

Caroline sums it up best by explaining that toners are like taking your face to the gym! I love it.

There are so many different types, all of which do different things, so make sure to have a read up first and find one that will work for your skin. 

Here are some of my current favourites:

1. Boots Botanics 100% Organic Rosewater Toning Spritz 
Simple, affordable and particularly lovely on a hot day! This is a quick and easy way to get started. Delicately cleanses, tones and calms. Spritz and then wipe away.
Find it here: Botanics Rosewater Toner

2. Nip + Fab Glycolic fix pads. 
These are my absolute favourite as well as the cleansing day pads from the range. I think I've been through at least ten pots of each! Wait for an offer in Boots or Superdrug and they can drop down to £7 something instead of the usual £15. The daily ones have hyaluronic acid to moisturise, and glycolic acid to resurface. The extreme version have salicylic and lactic acid both of which are great for problematic, acne prone skin. 
Swipe over your face after cleansing. I use the glycolic ones in the evening, and the daily cleansing pads in the morning.
Find them here: Nip+Fab Glycolic Fix

3. La Roche-Posay Serozinc 
This stuff is so great for blemish prone and oily skin. It contains Zinc Oxide which targets spots, marks and oiliness. It helps to mattify skin and calm things down so well. Not too pricey and lasts for ages too.
Find it here: Serozinc

4. Bravura - Calendula Toner 
I've tried a few of the Bravura toners now and I really like them all. Their Ginseng one is a fantastic dupe for the Pixi glow tonic in my opinion! It smells identical, has similar ingredients and is £6 cheaper. I also enjoy their 2% salicylic acid as a targeted treatment for days when my skin is really misbehaving. 
The Calendula one is lovely too (pictured below) - it's great for normal to oily skin. It contains glycolic acid and lactic acid which as their site quotes "effectively accelerate the exfoliation of the skin's dead cells to help reduce blemishes and breakouts while also fighting against premature ageing"
Give it a try here: Calendula Toner

6. May Lindstrom - Jasmine Garden Facial Spray
This came as part of my Caroline Hirons Cult Beauty Box too. I LOVE it, I LOVE how it feels. I just don't get on with the smell unfortunately. Which is a real shame. It really does feel so lovely and fresh on the skin though and calms down any angry areas. So if you like the smell of Jasmine and have a little more to spend, do it! I'm definitely going to explore more of their products. 
May Lindstrom - Jasmine Garden 

5. Alpha H - Liquid gold
So, this is more of a night treatment, but I tend to use it in the Toner stages of my routine which is why I've added it to this post. I think it does a similar job but just overnight and in a slightly more intense way. 
I definitely wouldn't recommend it for very sensitive skin - BUT if you're looking for the kind of treatment that you apply and REALLY notice a difference with in the morning - give this a go. It'll really bring back the GLOW to your skin if like me you struggle with dullness. 
I think I can safely say I'll always have this in my stash. I am running low and beginning to feel nervous...
I've found it most helpful for pigmentation and rough patches/dullness. Incredible stuff. 
Find it here: Liquid gold




So there you have it! My top toners of the moment. What are your favourites? xox



No comments:

Post a Comment